Monday, April 20, 2009

Where do nicknames come from?

Tonight Viv and I were both sitting on the couch, watching F1. Viv was lovingly putting coconut butter on her belly, hoping to avoid future stretch marks, and having some quality 'bonding' time with the baby (as suggested by the same book that says: 'tighten your stomach muscles to give your baby a hug'). When she was finished, she asked me: 'come and smell my tummy'. Having made myself quite comfortable on the opposite side of the couch I replied: 'can you just pass me the bottle?'. Unfortunately this request wasn't met with the enthusiasm I was hoping for, so I had to haul myself up to lean over to the other side, and have a smell. My first reaction was: 'it smells like an Easter egg, and it looks a bit like one as well', but immediately after it dawned on me; 'It's a Kinder Surprise!' Except that this one won't come out wrapped in a little instruction sheet, or a sticker sheet with a set of cartoonish eyes. Yet another nickname for our unborn child was born.

Week 1 to 2 there was no nickname, because there was nothing to name. From week 2 to 4 we generally referred to 'it' as our 'food baby', having just rented Juno a few weeks earlier. After the pregnancy test it became Baby David, inspired from our favourite show The Royle Family.
The one nickname that entertained me the most was a term introduced to us by Vicky (Vivian's younger sister) about 5 years ago: Oopsies. Accidentally switched tv channels? Oopsies! Dropped a ceramic bowl on your foot? Oopsies! The night I suggested that nickname for our baby was a night filled with laughter, though admittedly it was mainly me who was laughing.

None of these nicknames stuck for very long though, and we generally refer to 'it' as The Baby, seeing as how we don't know whether 'it's' a he or a she.
Our baby book works around the problem in a clever way. Rather than refer to 'it' as 'it' for 40 weeks, or talking about 'The baby' or 'Your baby' the whole way through, they alternate; on even weeks the baby's a He, on uneven weeks the baby's a She. What a great idea! We should do that, then we don't have to talk about 'it' as though it's just some Intra Terrestrial being until the day it's born.

I can't wait what nicknames we can give her when she's born!

David.

1 comment:

  1. oopsies is great but has no gender; what about Whoopie on the uneven weeks or when the kicking starts: He-man

    Gerard (no nickname)

    ReplyDelete