Saturday, April 25, 2009

Pregnancy superstitions


David has recently been advised by Simone to massage my little toe! Apparently it’s a technique from Chinese medicine to help with the wellbeing of mother and baby. Since I’m very ticklish with my feet and Dave isn’t too into my mangy little toes, we haven’t put this technique to the test. But it does make me think of all the pregnancy related superstitions……..sorry, I mean ‘advice’…….that I’ve been given lately.

- My mum actually told me to follow this one and she was dead serious: avoid soy sauce. At first I thought she meant it has too much salt but it’s actually a superstition that the colour will give your baby dark skin! (Oh, how my dad laughed!)

- Rachel (one of my close girlfriends) explained that if you deny being pregnant, when in fact you are, it will bring extreme bad luck. But luckily for me, she never asked me the question before our big announcement so I was able to avoid the bad luck for my baby. Phew!

- Wishing your baby is a particular sex: according to my colleague, if you wish that your baby is a particular sex when your baby is actually the opposite, it can create resentment in the baby, towards you (the mother) and its gender! Wow, I’m definitely not going to touch that one!

- Rubbing your tummy – this is one that I read from a website last night and it’s another Chinese superstition. Apparently if you rub your pregnant tummy too much, you’ll produce a demanding child. As if a new born isn’t demanding enough already! I really hope this one isn’t true because I enjoy rubbing my tummy way too much!

And for those of you thinking or wanting to fall pregnant – DON’T talk about it too often! According to my colleague Julia, if you yap about it too much it might never happen to you! So shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…

One thing that I hope won't be bad luck for my baby is flowers. David surprised me last week with a bunch of baby pink roses! Awwww..... I love being pregnant! I can get used to getting roses every week :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Viv! Great to see you last week. Loving the blog.... in regards to the foot massage, I was taught at massage school that massaging the feet during pregancy is a contra-indication, as there is a certain point in the foot (can't remember where) that is linked with miscarraige.

    Take Care!

    LP

    ReplyDelete