Monday, July 27, 2009

The perfect baby shower

Continuing on Dave’s post last week, he felt he should add a few downsides as well re: baby vs. pet.
  • If they get ill and rack up a medical bill of more than $1000, you can’t elect to have it put down.
  • When you go on holidays, you can’t tie it to a tree, because police will most probably make an effort to track you down.
  • You can’t blame the breeder if it turns out ugly.
Awwwwww……there’s nothing like a father’s love!

Over the weekend we held our baby shower at my parents’ house. It was a fun filled day and we had a great time with close family, friends and work mates. The weather was just superb so we sat outside in the sun for most of the day. We decorated the house with baby photos of Dave and I, and anyone else who brought their baby photo to share. And we shared funny stories from our childhood as well as tales of unfortunate baby names (yes, Julia, I'm talking about how you avoided being named 'Igor'!).


One of the highlights would have to be the silly games, including 'Guess What's in the Nappy'. Basically it consists of spreading suspect diarrhea looking food items onto nappies and asking everything to sniff/taste to guess what it is. Other games include: speed drinking out of baby bottles, guess the ingredients of baby foods, guess how big my tummy is. Prizes, such as a Kinder Surprise, were given for each game – although my workmate Adam felt like the ultimate winner after winning the 2 hour baby sitting voucher.


Another highlight would have to be the insane amount of food we all consumed. We had some of mum's famous deep fried wontons, my latest favourite recipe of mango scones (courtesy of Master Chef), not to mention my pork dumplings which my friend Rachel claims doesn't taste like pork (I take that as a compliment?). We had prepared enough food to feed another 10 people so everyone was grateful to take home some left-overs with them.


We also received the best gifts for our baby, everything from clothes and burp cloths to towels and toys. One of our favourites would have to be the musical octopus which makes a note when you squeeze its tentacles. I started playing a few tunes on it last night and baby was definitely dancing to it in my tummy!

We also invited everyone to write a little note to our little one in our baby book. It is now filled with beautiful words of love and inspiration and we feel so blessed that our baby is surrounded by so much love.

I know that baby showers are not a common event in Holland so check out
this link for a little about the history behind baby showers.

So at 31 weeks, I’m only 9 weeks away (or it could be 6 or less weeks if baby comes early) from the big day. I will be working for another 7 weeks, unless I get so massive that it becomes uncomfortable to travel to and from work.

A baby development update: baby should now be about 1.5kg and measuring around 41cm. So really, it is now running out of room to move around inside my tummy. That doesn't mean it has stopped though! Baby should now start to move to the head-down position to get ready for the birth but our baby definitely hasn't as yet. He/she is still enjoying trampling my bladder from time to time.


I’m full of excitement and anticipation for baby’s arrival, most of all I can’t wait to meet our baby for the first time – what will he/she look, smell, feel, sound like?! As for the labour itself, I’m keeping calm by reminding myself that it’s a natural process, that I’m not sick, and it’s only 1 day of pain for so much gain. Though please check back with me again after I’ve given birth, my perspective might be very different by then :)

No comments:

Post a Comment